Wednesday 3 October 2012

Newnesses of My Life

     I apologize for my not-so-unforeseen quietude and near perfect absence from the "interwebs." I am now a full-time stay-at-home dad, my son is nearly one year old (will be on Oct 6th), and I have become a Lay Dominican Candidate. What that means is that I'm now in an official year of discernment regarding whether God is calling me to be a member of the Dominican family and to practice Dominican spirituality.
     Dominicanity, as I like to call it, is focused on four key elements of living: prayer, study, community, and apostolate (which essentially means intentional evangelism). Lay Dominicans pray the Morning and Evening Offices of the Liturgy of the Hours every day, study the depths of Catholic theology as much as possible, sharing that knowledge when we can, and cooperating in all these areas with our fellow Dominicans whenever life allows. That's the gist of it, anyway. I'm still figuring it out.
     A fellow Lay Dominican pointed out a while back that there are dozens of general Catholic apologetics sites on the internet. After thinking about that combined with the fact that I don't have nearly as much time to study and write as most other apologists do, I've decided-unless I hear from any of my readers that they want me to continue with the apologetics-to work on something more... uniquely me. And what makes me different from other Catholic writers who want to share their faith through writing? If you know me, the answer should be obvious: Star Trek! Hence, my newest project, which is actually something I thought of years ago but never worked on till now: an episode by episode exploration of Star Trek: The Next Generation of a sort of... devotional nature. I'm still working on the introduction (thoughts/suggestions welcome), but the first episode log is done, save any tweaks that you, my readers, might suggest (if I'm lucky). Please, have a look and leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment